SPOT GPS

Here is the link to my SPOT GPS shared page. It only shows information that I've sent in the last 7 days. So if it's empty it just means I haven't used it lately but I'm still OK.

Friday, July 27, 2012

Osprey and Oven Pans

The past few days have been about getting the RV serviced at Camping World in New Hampshire (oil change, AC recharged and generator adjusted). But yesterday I Drove to the coast of Maine and stayed near Freeport, the Home of L.L. Bean. At first the town looks like a quaint little village until you look and all the shops are discount stores. It's an outlet mall disguised ad a town. I did stop and look around LL Bean. It's like REI except with hunting and fishing. They did have a cool taxidermy display of two moose. There remains had been found after they had locked antlers and couldn't get them apart. Sad for them but part of life.

Made it to the camp ground and out for a paddle. I finally made it to kayak in Maine. It too reminded me of the Pacific NW. I went out in the bay and paddled past a small island. The whole time I had heard what I thought were just sea birds on the water. Then I noticed people on shore looking over my head with binoculars and saw the osprey nest. The bird calls coming from the nest with two young birds and an adult. If you watch and listen to the video you can hear them in the background. As I paddled around the small island I found an osprey feather floating in the water. It was very calm and peaceful on the water.

Launch ramp

Floating osprey feather
Osprey nest.

Osprey nest.

Some cool rock layers in the water.

Slack High Tide.  Calm

When I was putting the kayak back in the roof I noticed the cover was missing off the vent for the refrigerator. It must have gotten ripped off by a flow branch sometime in the last week. I bit panicked because the forecast was for rain I quickly called a local RV shop. They may have something but where already closed. I drove to the closest supermarket and bought a couple of aluminum roasting plan. The vent is like a chimney and if it rains water will get into the RV. With the pans and some duct tape a fashioned a new cover in the market parking lot. It help overnight and a drive on the freeway today. The RV shop was able to order a replacement a d have it dropped shipped to the place I'm starting next week. It's always something. I did get my lobster dinner though !

Missing cover.

Temp cover.  Lasted on the freeway.

Update July 31, 2012. Through the marvels of shipping I received my new vent come via UPS at the camp ground I'm staying at in the Maine north woods. New cover installed and this time screws added do it won't come off.

New cover installed.


New use for aluminum pans: turned into a fun for my new (used) stand up paddle board. Oops did I forget to mention I was leaving Bar Harbor and passed a LL Bean outlet having a 20% off the already discounted demo SUP? Fits just nice under the kayak. It's made by of all companies, Bic. They have a world wide water sport division. The fin went missing but I have a new one on order. In the mean time. More uses of foil pans and duct tape.

Link to kayak video;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwkOG8bHQUs

No comments:

Post a Comment