SPOT GPS

Here is the link to my SPOT GPS shared page. It only shows information that I've sent in the last 7 days. So if it's empty it just means I haven't used it lately but I'm still OK.

Friday, August 10, 2012

Mt. Lafayette / Franconia Notch

Since Mt. Washington didn't really count I decided to go on a real hike up a mountain. As most of my travels go this was a recommendation from someone along the way. Franconia Notch is an area on the west side of the White Mountains. I'm not sure what the difference between a "pass" and a "notch" but it seemed about the same The left from the camp ground and started up hill right away. The trails maintained by the Appilatician Hiking Club and a degree better then in Maine. I took the waterfall trail and was aptly name as you can see by the photos. It was natural air conditioning I reached the first summit and quickly made the traverse to Mt. Lafayette with approaching weather. Photos. Lunch behind a rock. 30 minutes and heading down. The Old Bridle Path trail was misnamed unless they road mountain goats.

I wore my Five Fingers again and still really liked them for hiking up and on the ridge. About two thirds of the way down I switched to my old sneakers. The decent required stepping over and around everything carefully with no cushion to absorb the extra pounding. With the sneakers I could be less selective and made better time.

Miles hikes: 8.9
Elevation gain: 4000'
Hiking time: 8 hours
Treat at the camp ground store: Ben and Jerry's Half Baked ice cream bar

No comments:

Post a Comment