SPOT GPS

Here is the link to my SPOT GPS shared page. It only shows information that I've sent in the last 7 days. So if it's empty it just means I haven't used it lately but I'm still OK.

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Hudson River, Rogers Rock, Fort Ticonderoga

On a tip from the guide at the garnet mine I found an outfitter who does shuttles on the Hudson River (he works there too). So yesterday I drove about an hour and was able to use my kayak to float down the river. A nice day and mostly clear skies. To me it's strange to see the Hudson looks like a "mountain" river. Where I grew up its huge as it goes by New York City. These are the headwaters donuts just getting started. The section of the river was mostly calm with a few fun spots and faster moving water. After 5 miles at the take out was the pickup and drive back to the start. A nice way to spend the afternoon. On my way back I drove through the city of Lake George. I'm glad I didn't stay there as it looked like half of NY and NJ was there walking around. Quick loop and escape to the other end of the lake.

This morning was a nice stand up paddle on Lake George. Not far from the campground was the large rock face into the water do I paddled up to it. There where people who had canoed and kayaked to it and where climbing. Looked pretty challenging. Later in the day I learned its named Rogers Rock after a local militia man from the revolutionary period. Tails say he faked out the Indians after being cornered by walking to the edge with his snowshoes, turned them around backwards and walked out to escape.

In my trip to revisit childhood memories I came to this area to see Fort Ticonderoga. Its an old fort built on a hill between Lake Champlain and Lake George. It was originally built by the French but went back and forth between them and the British and as factored in the revolutionary war. It was fun to walk around and make new memories and re-learn some history.

Music: Carbon Leaf "On Any Given Day"

Traveled:
115 miles by land (RV)
5 miles by river (kayak)
2 hours by lake (SUP)

No comments:

Post a Comment