SPOT GPS

Here is the link to my SPOT GPS shared page. It only shows information that I've sent in the last 7 days. So if it's empty it just means I haven't used it lately but I'm still OK.

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Bauxite Sphere

Bauxite is a rock that is found in Arkansas and is the official state mineral. It is of significance because it is a source of aluminum. There are mines around Arkansas and appears to be abundant but the process to extral the aluminum is costly. I found it at a mineral / rock shop and bought some to make a sphere. Thanks to a friends grandpa George's hand grinding stone it went pretty quick and I'm really happy with the way it turned out after just a couple of hours work. The red stone sphere is one I bought and is Arkansas Jasper.
Raw stone and finished sphere.
Sphere before polishing.
Using Grandpa Georges hand grinder.
Close up of the Bauxite.
Raw Bauxite, Jasper Sphere, and Bauxite Sphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment