SPOT GPS

Here is the link to my SPOT GPS shared page. It only shows information that I've sent in the last 7 days. So if it's empty it just means I haven't used it lately but I'm still OK.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Zion NP

As I've been driving through Northern Arizona and into Utah I feel like I'm in the Disney movie "Cars".  This has to be the area they were using as a model. It might also be all the NASCAR race trailers passing me on the road. It was nice to off the interstate and see more of the interesting state.  From Flagstaff part of the normal road was closed because of a washout and the detour went up and over to the north access point for the Grand Canyon.  Miles climbing up from the valley floor and over evergreen forested peaks at 7000 feet plus and into Zion.

US 89 heading towards lower Glen Canyon.


The road loops around to below the hills.  The Colorado River is in-between.


Just to get a little perspective on the size.


Sand stone hills on east entrance into Zion National Park.  I think you could stand in one place and take pictures all day.


The road though parts of Zion.  It's amazing how the made it though the hills.


Impressive sights.

I made it to the camp ground in the park around 3pm.  There is an eight mile dead end road up Zion Canyon that starting on Sunday will be closed to cars/traffic for the season.  Everyone has to take a shuttle bus.  The park is so popular with limited space it's the only way they can keep the roads open.  I only had one night in the camp ground.  When I looked online yesterday it was the only site available.  I asked the ranger when I checked in and they said things are booked already through the summer.  Crazy lucky me.

So I was trying to decide what to do: Drive up tonight?  Wait until morning?  Unhook the trailer?  Then I thought WWMD?  What Would Mike Do?  So I hopped on the bicycle and road the 8 miles up stream into the canyon?  There wasn't that much incline and the bicycle pace was awesome for seeing everything.  Deer along side the road.  Wild turkeys. Breathing cliffs up the canyon walls.  And a nice payoff on the ride back downstream.


Vistas everywhere.


Zion Canyon and Virgin River.
I did find a sport I haven't tried yet.  Drysuit river hiking.  There were people coming down the trail with full drysuits on.  Seems people hike up the trail until it gets to narrow, put on the drysuit and walk/swim up the narrow part of the canyon in the water.


Impressive cliff faces.


On my way by I noticed people looking up.


There were two climbers about half way up the face! (Blue dot)


An overview of Zion.


The Watchman Peak and camp ground for the night.
Actually I think the Winnebago would fit right into "Cars".  Do people start looking like their vehicles?

No comments:

Post a Comment