SPOT GPS

Here is the link to my SPOT GPS shared page. It only shows information that I've sent in the last 7 days. So if it's empty it just means I haven't used it lately but I'm still OK.

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Sand, sand and more sand.

With some extra time in Utah I decided to head out to Little Sahara Recreation Area.  124 square miles of moving sand and sagebrush.  It's managed by the BLM and is from the remnants of Lake Bonneville 15,000 years ago.  It's now a gathering place ATV, motorcycle and dune buggy riders.

700 ft mountain of sand.


Sunset on top of the hill above the camp ground (I walked).


Dunes.


Base of Sand Mountain.  With a little practice I got better at traversing the dunes.


Trail riding through the desert sagebrush.


Just like the old west, circling the wagons.


Sand mountain Camp "Ground".  Everyone just picks a spot and sets up camp.  There are a couple other camping areas with actual spaces.  When I check in the staff said they expect 30,000 people this weekend because of the holiday, schools out, spring break and nice weather.  I'm leaving Friday morning.


More dunes on the other side of Sand Mountain.  Looking south towards the Honeycombs.  I wasn't able to make it to the top on the mountain but found a lower route to the other side.






Beautiful country.  

No comments:

Post a Comment