SPOT GPS

Here is the link to my SPOT GPS shared page. It only shows information that I've sent in the last 7 days. So if it's empty it just means I haven't used it lately but I'm still OK.

Monday, March 25, 2013

"It's always something"

In the words of Roseanne Roseanneadana, "It just goes to show, It's always something."  While not as exciting as Zion but sure to get your attention is looking at your tires and seeing half of them gone.  Back in January while in North Carolina I thought I should rotate the tires on the RV.  I looked it up online and got different opinions on wether it was necessary or not.  I took it to a local Camping World for service and they did the rotation.  Also recommended was to have the alignment checked after the rotation and since there was a little pull in the steering I found a truck tire shop that could do the rotation on an RV.  They supposedly did the alignment and after moving the front tires around got it done.  Well only after 2500 miles this it what my tires looked like.  Prior to this I had 15,000 mile on the tires with no issue.








I'm normally pretty consistent with checking the air pressure in the tires.  I was planning to head out into the desert to go rock hunting and the night before I was checking the RV and for some reason looked at the tires.  This didn't happen overnight and I'm not sure why I missed it before.  A strange thing is back when I got towed in Oklahoma I noticed the tires on the tow truck.  Their front tires looked bad and had metal showing and I thought I hope he doesn't have a blow out while he's got the RV on the back.  We only had 5 miles on back streets so I didn't worry to much.  But now my tires look just theres.  I guess I'm lucky I didn't have a blowout and noticed it before being out in the desert or on the interstate.  It's always something,  including with an old RV.  

Territorial State House of Utah.
The town I stopped in was Fillmore, Utah.  It is the location on the original state house of Utah and is a small town of about 1500 people (and has a KOA).  When I hit town I stopped at an ATV shop and bought my out of state ATV permit before I had noticed the RV tires.  Later from the camp ground I found and advertisement for a local repair shop.  The name was the same as the ATV dealer.  The man was very helpful,  found some new tires and I met him the next morning had had them installed.  Turns out it's his uncle who owns the the shop.  His dad and uncle, long time residents of the area, owned the car dealerships in town and now just run a towing and repair shop.  I ended up talking with them while they fixed the tires.  It's interesting that I've found in general people in small towns are much more friendly and willing to talk if you show some interest.  I had a nice chat with the clerk at the post office too.

Sand pit near the KOA.


Out enjoying the afternoon and trying out my new helmut and goggles.




As a bonus right from the camp ground is access to an ATV trail system.  It's part of an 800 mile loop in and around the towns and mountains.  You are allowed to ride on the roads here so I went into town and filled up with gas and checked out some on the nearby trails.  Lots of fun places to play.



Deer crossing on the trail.  Look close there's one clearing the fence.

A view from the ATV trail.

So all in all despite the $500 tire "something" I had a nice time in Fillmore.  I did find some rock but that's another blog.  I'm off to Les Schwab in Salt Lake to get the alignment done again.  I wasn't planning on going up there but that's the closest place that can do the RV and I want a large chain repair shop if I have more trouble with the tires again.  I'll also get to have the trailer inspected at the local Trailers Plus for it's free check and restock at Costco and Trader Joe's.  Making the best of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment