SPOT GPS

Here is the link to my SPOT GPS shared page. It only shows information that I've sent in the last 7 days. So if it's empty it just means I haven't used it lately but I'm still OK.

Saturday, March 16, 2013

A week in the life on a farm.

I finished up spending a week working on a family farm in southeast Missouri. The farm is a member of an origination called WWOOF (www.wwoofusa.org) that's connects people willing to work/learn/experience organic farming with farms needing help and willing to teach.





I helped repair an old pig shed. My new ATV came in handy for dragging it though the field to its new home. The the ATV also worked well for moving downed timber into the woods.


40 acres. 7 goats (and 5 new babies). 4 dogs. 3 horses. 2 pigs. One nice place.




10 day old babies enjoying their first romp outside.  Sometimes they would just jump straight up into the air because the could.


It's very early in the growing season but it was the beginning of baby goat time. While I was there I got to see three baby goats born. What a crazy amazing sight. Within 30 minutes of being born the babies are up and wobbly walking around.




This was a very large single baby buck born seen here about 20 minutes after being born.


Two babies up and about in their first hour.




Besides fixing a few things here and there my main contribution was helping finish a fence around some new goat pastures. It was like the satisfaction of putting in the last piece of a puzzle. Completion that enclosed a new picture.



The buck goats and their guard dog enjoying the newly reinforced fenced in pasture.

I wondered why there needed to be "farm stores" and why they couldn't just get stuff from Home Depot but the fencing is one example of how things work differently on a farm. It seems like most things need to be heavy duty to servive. The animals are hard on everything.

(So far) I managed to not experience the electric fence that surrounds the fields. I did touch it once but it must have been inbetween pulse because I didn't get shocked.



A chicken named Maureen who was stalking me.


Highlights:

Woken up by roosters.
Watch a goat being born
Eating goat for dinner.
Homemade goat cheese.
Best bacon Ever!
Fresh eggs.
Quiet nights and peeping frogs.
I have a better understanding how living on a farm makes you closer to the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment