SPOT GPS

Here is the link to my SPOT GPS shared page. It only shows information that I've sent in the last 7 days. So if it's empty it just means I haven't used it lately but I'm still OK.

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Failure to Ignition

A bit of a rough day. At my first stop for gas this morning I got stuck at the pump. Filled up. Went in for coffee. Came out and couldn't get the RV started. It would turn over but not start.  Seemed like poor ignition.  I had had noticed the last couple of days it would start once I let the key go back to the "on"position.  The know problem with these engines and slow turnover with hot engines had also gotten worse lately but with a new starter heat shield it seemed better.  So I waited awhile. Tried some different things with spare parts I had and after an hour of no change I called AAA. While I was waiting I started reading my chassis manual and it mentioned the ignition switch as a possible problem. I tried again, wiggled the key and got it started!  Stalled!  Started again! Pulled away from the pump and waited for the tow. I talked it over with the driver and decided to get it towed away. Not sure I should trust it back on the freeway.  While he was loading it on the flatbed ( once forward and then backwards to get it to fit) I called the closest Auto Zone and they had a switch. So instead of going to the nearby Camping World he dropped me, the RV and the trailer in the parts store parking lot. Camping World was closed anyway.  I bought the switch, put it in and seems to have fixed the issue. I started and stopped it multiple times without issue so decided to press on. Made it another 50 miles to the next KOA before dark and parked for the night. Relief.  While at the parts store I bought some new spare tuneup parts just in case.

Miles traveled:  183 miles under own power.  5 miles free ride.

Iced tea, Buffalo burger and home-made coconut cream pie at the Cherokee Trading Post to end the day.  Tomorrows another try.



What's wrong with this picture?  Everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment