SPOT GPS

Here is the link to my SPOT GPS shared page. It only shows information that I've sent in the last 7 days. So if it's empty it just means I haven't used it lately but I'm still OK.

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Tour de Ponce de Leon

Yesterday was a bicycle tour of St Augustine. As the oldest city in the US it doesn't have the best streets for RV's so I was glad the park was only a couple of miles from the old part of town. It seems I keep going back in history. I thought New England was old but stuff around here is from the 1500's.

I stopped at the "Fountain of Youth" historic site that is speculated to be the place Ponce de Leon found. I did drink the water but it was pretty sulfurous which they said was good for you. I guess if you had been on a ship out to sea for months any fresh water would taste good.

Also checked out the old Spanish fort Castillo de San Marco. Very cool structure made out of the local limestone rock. Complete with moat and drawbridge. Same history lesson. Europeans move in to the neighborhood. Wipe out the local with war and disease and then fight with each other over who owns the land.

I think it ironic that the Fountain of Youth is in the state where the old people go. The search for answers is universal. I felt better for the bike ride then the water.

Ps: one good thing New York style pizza!

Pss: why its called the "barrel" of a gun. I watched a cannon firing demonstration. The original cannons where made like a wooden barrel with iron strips held together with stays.

No comments:

Post a Comment