SPOT GPS

Here is the link to my SPOT GPS shared page. It only shows information that I've sent in the last 7 days. So if it's empty it just means I haven't used it lately but I'm still OK.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Asheville to Key Largo

It's back on the road again. This time heading south again back to the Florida Keys. The plan for this trip was started back in October. While in Missouri my friends brothers girlfriend said you need to meet my brother he has a live rock business in the Keys. Turns out he lives in Ohio but also has a house in Asheville. A few phone call, some emails later here I am. More details about the farm to follow in future posts.

I ended up helping him out by hauling a boat he bought and brought from Ohio. I took it from Asheville to Key Largo. It was all highway driving and except for the increased breaking distance the RV did well towing (not much difference from the trailer I took from Seattle to Missouri). The first day went well. 650 plus miles. We stopped for raw oysters at Bunky's in Sebastian FL with some of his friends and parked in front of their house for the night.

After a good breakfast near the beach we took off. Stopped at a gas station for fuel and I had trouble getting started. Seemed like a weak battery but it's always been slow to turn over. Sat for a few minutes to let things cool down and it started. About half hour down the freeway I heard a noise in the engine like something stuck in the fan. Thump. Thump. Thump. Squeal. Squeal. Thump. Thump. Gone.

Decided to head for the next exit instead of stopping on the side of the turnpike. Made it to a shopping lot parking area. Quick inspection and the serpentine belt was MISSING. All of the pulleys were spinning so seamed like just the belt failed.

When I purchased the RV it had a bunch of spare parts and I remembered seeing some belts. I never checked to see if there were the rights ones. I found them and luckily one was the one I needed. I found a few strands of what was left of the old wrapped around the fan. Cleared it away and was able to slide the belt on place without removing any parts. I did notice the alternator had been adjusted all the way out which leeds me to think the belt was old and stretched out. Within a hour I had the new one on and we were back on the road. Everything seemed to be working fine and made it the rest of the way. Thanks to George Ice ( the original owner) for the spare parts. I plan on getting a new one to keep with me.

So I'm parked in Key Largo for three weeks. 75° and sunny. Mission accomplished.

Looks like the boat belongs there.


On the road again.


Caravan.


Oysters!


Not a bad place to park the RV.


View from the dock.


First morning paddle.


Found a submerged boat.


Five Fingers and two fins.

No comments:

Post a Comment