SPOT GPS

Here is the link to my SPOT GPS shared page. It only shows information that I've sent in the last 7 days. So if it's empty it just means I haven't used it lately but I'm still OK.

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Trace re-Trace

So the current theme seems to be revisiting places but in a different way. This time I'm making my way through Arkansas and Tennessee but traveling along US Route 64. It's been easy driving on nice roads and I'm glad to be off the Interstate. I found the Natchez Trace on my visit in Nashville back in June. This time I'm about 65 miles south on the trail.
Early fall on the Natchez Trace at about mile 416.


Today was a perfect day for a motorcycle ride and I re-traced my way on a different section up to where I had ridden before. About 70°, partly sunny, light breeze, little traffic and the fall colors getting started. Easy cruising. Flocks of wild turkeys along the road. I stopped for lunch at a cafe I had found before. But instead of the granola this time I had the pulled pork BBQ. (Yum. Go Paleo!) Made an about face and headed back south to stop at sights along the way. The Trace in an old route used by buffalo, Indians , early settlers, wagon trains and traders for 400 miles from Natchez Mississippi to Nashville Tennessee. It's now a paved road and National Park. There are still sections of the original trail you can hike and drive on.
A part of the "Old Trace"


One significant sight is where Meriwether Lewis died (203 years and 2 days ago) on his way to Washington DC. He's buried there and a monument marks his grave. Last spring I was at Cape Disappointment on the Washington coast where Lewis and Clark camped on the coast before turning around.



I've seen lots of soy bean and cotton fields ready for picking. Also a prison chain gang with guards working in a ditch along a fence. This is Sheriff Buford Pussor territory. ("Walking Tall" movie)

I stopped at Shiloh National Military Park a few days ago. It's the site of an important (and horrific) two day battle during the civil war. The total casualties from both sides was over 23,000 (in two days!). There are fields and monuments at locations where the troops camped and fought. The whole place felt like a cemetery.


Some graves at Shiloh overlooking the Tennessee River.
I had taken a picture of my shadow while I was out on a bicycle ride. Lately it feels like I'm looking at shadows of the past. American History and thinking about my own history. Wondering what new history will be in the next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment