SPOT GPS

Here is the link to my SPOT GPS shared page. It only shows information that I've sent in the last 7 days. So if it's empty it just means I haven't used it lately but I'm still OK.

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Williamsburg, VA

I am making my way west back to Missouri to meet up with my friends at their house/dome on Lake of the Ozarks. After leaving the Maryland coast I headed south and had to cross the Chesapeake Bay. Along the way there where signs for the Bridge-Tunnel. I didn't know what a Bridge-Tunnel was but kept going anyway. Well you don't get a choice of one or the other but it's both. It starts out as a bridge on the water. In a preview of what the Florida Keys bridges must be like, you are out in the bay and can not see land. Then in the middle with what appears to be a man made island the roadway drops below the water into a tunnel!  It wasn't my favorite place to be as the tunnel was narrow with oncoming traffic and trucks but made it through and back up on the bridge.  There was another tunnel before making it to the other side.  I'm guessing they put in the tunnels so the large ships and military vessels and get through without going under anything.  It was definitely the strangest road since the floating bridges in Seattle.

Land?
Along the way I stopped at a roadside restaurant that turned out to be an old McDonald's building converted into a crab house.  I got my fix with a Bay Seafood Cake.  Yum.


Next stop was Colonial Williamsburg.  It was interesting to walk around the old city.  It was free to go though the street and shops (but cost $40 for the day if you wanted to go into the old buildings).  


I was there late in the day and caught the evening parade with the Fife and Drum.  The guy on the horse was General Lafayette (as in the mountain I climbed in NH that was named after him).




Inspection of the troops.

Mens room circa 1776

LAWNS?

I did notice that there where lots of people driving around with lawn mowers in the back of their trucks.  While in Maine everyone had kayaks or canoes.  In Virginia there must be lots of grass to cut.

Miles driven:  193
Hours spent walking through history:  3
Music:  Fife and Drum

No comments:

Post a Comment